Care-Nursing, Residential and Rest Homes
Please contact our specialist Care team who will be delighted to assist with your enquiry.
The 'Welcare' scheme has been established for over 20 years and we continue to strive to provide insurance, and to articulate our knowledge of the risks within this sector, to best assist our brokers and their clients.
Considerations for brokers and their clients may include:
Our risk appetite includes:
- Adequacy of rebuilding costs. This is a key area for brokers and property owners, with 'average' clauses still often applied to claims by Insurers
- Abuse coverage can be limited, excluded, silent or express; it can be on a claims made or occurrence basis. The nature of cover and the potential impact should be established before proceding with any policy.
- The extent of ‘treatment’ or malpractice coverage varies within available policies. This typically relates to administration of pre-prescribed drugs, but can have importance outside of this.
- Theft of materials forming part of the buildings is often limited or excluded. It should be clear as to how this might affect each proposer.
- Any requirements following inspection by the CQC (England) (or CSIW (Wales), Care Commission (Scotland), RQIA (Northern Ireland)) should be completed or a commensurate action plan available
- The scope of Legal Expenses coverage varies greatly within care policies. As an 'anciliary' product to the core property and liability covers, this can have limited impact when selecting a policy, but it can prove very important to have bespoke care cover, for example Coroner's inquest costs protection.
- High staff retention levels can indicate a lower risk to Employers' liability claims
- Staff background checks must be undertaken
- Kitchen hygiene standards mustn't be overlooked as a potential source of claims
- Fire detection and suppression systems, particularly in kitchen areas are a good risk feature
- Service user profiles and management thereof are critical to insurers appraisal of risk; the greater information you can provide, the more commensurate with actual risk the policy terms will be
- Financial position of proposer indicates ability to apply, and continue, high quality health and safety and risk management processes.
- Elderly service users
- Adult Learning Difficulty service users
- Individual location exposures up to £20,000,000
- We can provide a rebuilding cost calculation service for certainty
- Minimum Premium £1,000 plus Insurance Premium Tax
File Size: 1.6MB